President’s Update December 2020
Alberta Health Services
- Met December 10, 2020
- Informed AHS that NPAA is the fifth bargaining unit in the Regional Health Authority Collective Bargaining Regulations (RHACBR).
- Awaiting next steps with lawyers and will keep them informed. Asked them to please keep this confidential until finalized and announced.
- Updated us on COVID-19 response and redeployment. Few outside AHS who applied for COVID relief work have been hired/required.
- Trends and issues have been on hold due to COVID-19.
- President was interviewed for RhPAP newsletter about NPs as well as other nurses/midwives in light of the year of the nurse and midwife.
- Will be published December 29th, 2020
- Signed up with president email for newsletter updates.
- Met November 10th, 2020
- Reviewed the billing process and pulled codes used from the ER.
- In process of reviewing the codes to see which are applicable to NPs.
- Need to review other codes in primary care and modifiers as well.
- Next meeting is not yet set.
- Met November 25, 2020
- No update on funding model but recommended that we reach out to Peter McLeod, ED with Alberta Health, who is working on this.
- Discussed the issue of the Schedule of Medical Benefits and how it does not include NPs, leading to issues in other sectors.
- AH asked us to develop a briefing note to send to show impact on practice and what “work arounds” have been required.
- President and VP will work on this briefing note.
Alberta Counsel (Lobbyists)
- Numerous meetings in November and December.
- Meeting with AC lawyers and Labour Ministry representatives Humyra Sabir and Andrea Cole to discuss how the ministry imagined that NPAA might move forward within the current legislative changes.
- The next step is to form a trade union and follow the Labour Code’s steps to become certified to represent NPs.
- Will meet with lawyers on December 17th to lay out the plan.
- Once finalized will have the lawyers present to the board, and then hopefully out to the membership in January.
- Review of the NP job description with addendum according to positions and scope of practice in novel areas (ie; ICU, Cancer etc).
- Orientation manual is the next working group to start.
- Wave 2 launch of Connect Care is going well.