SUMMER 2018 NEWSLETTER
Happy Summer!! We would like to provide you with an update regarding the status of the UNA application and our recent NPAA Board activities.
ALBERTA RELATIONS BOARD / UNA:
- On June 29, 2018, the Alberta Labour Relations Board held a hearing with all interested parties (intervenors) in attendance.
- The purpose of the hearing was to rule on the question of whether the Labour Board is the appropriate forum to rule on the constitutional issue of Bill 37 which restricts NPs from unionization. In their response to UNA’s application, Alberta Health Services had suggested that the constitutional issue of Bill 37 as it applies to NPs is more appropriately determined by the Courts.
- On July 4th, the Labour Board concluded that “it is the most appropriate forum to determine the constitutional issue in the first instance”. This means that they have concluded that they (Labour Board) will have the opportunity to hear this case first.
- The next step: the Labour Board will work with intervenors to determine hearing dates to present the case and the cases of its intervenors.
NPAA will continue to update you as new information emerges. Please reach out to us if you have further questions.
ADVOCACY WORK WITH CARNA:
- We are anticipating that there will be an update to the Health Professions Act (HPA) in the coming months. NPAA has been working with CARNA to identify barriers existing in the HPA that impede our members practice.
- NPAA anticipates that CARNA will submit this information to the Alberta Government in the fall.
CARNA President elections are underway. Please review the profiles we have circulated to read more about the candidate’s platform and their proposed advocacy as it pertains to advanced practice and NPs. VOTING IS NOW OPEN UNTIL MIDNIGHT AUGUST 31. Click Here for link to CARNA president elect platforms.
ADVOCACY WORK WITH AHS
- NPAA continues to collaborate with AHS on the development of the NP Workforce Strategic Plan. On March 8, 2018, a stakeholder workshop was held where AHS has since identified the following priorities:
- Optimize NP scope of practice
- Advance NP integration in AHS
- Align education approach and delivery
- Develop awareness for the NP role
- Improve sustainability of the NP workforce
- Support growth in AHS practice setting
- Evaluate NP practice on health outcome in different model of care
NPAA President Teddie Tanguay will be participating in the AHS committee responsible for the development of a plan to address these strategic priorities.
ADVOCACY WORK WITH ALBERTA HEALTH
- The Alberta Governance model is seeking to update the Primary Care Network model.
- The focus of this update is to change from ‘medical neighborhoods’ to ‘health neighborhoods’. The goal of this new model is to expand access to care by broadening the use of healthcare provider roles.
- NPAA believes this will be an opportunity for NPs to be more embedded in primary care as some health neighborhoods are advocating for NP involvement. It is hoped the first health neighborhood will be launched by December 2018.
NPAA BOARD UPDATE
- Over the next few months, the NPAA board will be working on developing a 3-5 year strategic plan. The purpose of the strategic plan will be to identify our priorities and the focus of our work over the coming years.
- Our membership has grown significantly this year and we want to hear from you! We are a membership driven organization and we will be seeking your input on what you feel are the priorities for our work over the coming years.
- Stay tuned for a survey over the coming months. At anytime, should you wish to reach the board and provide feedback, please feel free to reach out to us personally or by email.
Stay tuned for more info!