|Job Title:||Nurse Practitioner|
|Salary (please specify hourly/monthly/yearly):||Commensurate with experience|
|Application Open Date:||March 18, 2022|
|Application Close Date:||Until the suitable candidate is found|
|Job Time Commitment:||Full Time|
The Alex Community Health Centre provides comprehensive health and social services in a welcoming, accessible, and non- judgmental environment. The Mobile Health Team offers accessible services through outreach on our mobile care units based on the principles of barrier-free care, accessibility, inclusivity, dignity, advocacy, and empowerment. We take a trauma- informed approach providing social and wellness supports for a diverse population. The Alex Mobile Team integrates services related to physical health, mental health, social supports, cultural supports, peer supports and addiction, to reduce barriers and improve clients’ outcomes. The Mobile Care team focus on episodic care as well as promote for positive change in our community.
Under the general direction of the Mobile Health Lead, The Mobile Health Nurse Practitioner (NP) will work to their full scope of practice. We value this work and appreciate how this role will enrich to our team. The NP will provide comprehensive medical and social care to vulnerable clients in Calgary, including individuals with multiple co-morbidities. This will include advanced assessments and diagnoses, order of diagnostics, and prescribe medications. The Mobile Health NP will work primarily on a small, new mobile care unit in the community at different sites providing episodic primary and addiction care. The NP in this role will support overall community needs which will include addictions services, general health assessments, wound care, etc. This small unit (sprinter van) is an addition to our existing fleet and the NP role will be instrumental in developing a care model, serve as a mentor, and play a significant role in the provision of collaborative care. This is a new, permanent position which will evolve based on the identified needs of the program. Although this is a full-time position, there is the option to work on a part-time basis.
What you will do:
• Work on the Mobile Care Unit with a Peer Support worker in an outreach capacity. Some care may be delivered at the Alex Community and Youth Health Centers.
• Diagnose and manage both common and complex health conditions
• Order and interpret diagnostic tests
• Prescribe pharmaceuticals, medical devices, and other therapies
• Perform procedures, interventions, and treatments
• Provide mentorship to members of the multidisciplinary team
• Adhere to all health and safety regulations
• Collect data and support evaluation process
• Demonstrate enthusiasm in providing support in program design and development.
• Support fostering a team culture that promotes health and safety and a harassment free environment
• Licensed with the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta
• Completion of an approved Nurse Practitioner program, BLS-C and triplicate prescribing authority
• Excitement and awareness in program development, mobile health care and episodic care with our most vulnerable populations.
• Knowledge, skills and abilities to work with complex individuals experiencing addictions, mental health, isolation, homelessness and poverty concerns
• Strong communication skills and ability to adapt communication style to meet the needs of a specific individual
• Must be comfortable working using harm reduction, strength based, and trauma informed care techniques as well as an understanding of anti-oppressive practice.
• Boundaries yet able to effectively build relationships with hard to engage patients
• Assertive, professional and positive, with an ability to effectively represent the organization
• Experience with or willingness to obtain training in all aspects of addiction medicine and harm reduction including starting and maintaining opioid replacement therapy. For example but not limited to Suboxone, Methadone and Naltrexone.
• Able to work collaboratively in an interdisciplinary team model and innovative outreach service delivery model
• Experience with community outreach and crisis intervention
• Knowledge of social services and non-profit services in Calgary is an asset
• Minimum HCP/BLS level CPR & AED within 30 days of hire date, certification must be valid for a minimum of 6 months upon hire
• A Class 5 non-GDL driver’s license, a clean driver’s abstract, and a personal vehicle that can be used for work purposes with $2 million liability insurance
• A satisfactory vulnerable sector criminal record clearance and child welfare intervention check are required
• Knowledge of the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People (UNDRIP) and the Truth and Reconciliation Commissions (TRC) 94 Calls to Action is an assetDriving on behalf of The Alex:
This position is required to use your own vehicle for work-related use or drive Alex vehicles for work purposes. Where required, candidates must show proof of a class 5 non-GDL driver’s license, a personal vehicle, a clean 5-year drivers abstract, and $2 million liability insurance to meet our insurance provider requirements.As a condition of employment, The Alex requires the successful candidate to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Where the candidate has not obtained the vaccine, the candidate will be considered on an exception, and case by case basis; The Alex will adhere with its obligations under the Alberta Human Rights Act.