University of Alberta
Application Open Date
University of Alberta
Faculty Lecturer/Nurse Practitioner
Commensurate with education and experience
The University of Alberta Faculty of Nursing and Sage Seniors Association are working together under a Collaborative Agreement to develop and operate an innovative model for person-centred primary care services for seniors to be delivered by an inter-professional team led by nurse practitioners.
Health Services at Sage will provide up to 5,500 seniors access to primary care services, while fully integrating Sage’s existing social services and life enrichment programming. The model is also unique in its focus on student learning, evaluation, inter-professional practice, and the engagement of seniors as co-producers of health and social services.
The Nurse Practitioner will provide primary health care to patients in accordance with standards set by the College and Association of Registered Nurses of Alberta (CARNA), and aligned with the overall strategic direction of Sage Health Services. Teaching with the Faculty of Nursing, University of Alberta will also be required. This posting may be used to fill more than one position and evening and/or weekend work will be required.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provides assessment, diagnosis and treatment within the NP scope of practice
- Provides health promotion and education across the lifespan to seniors, caregivers and their families
- Promotes disease prevention and provide chronic disease management, primary mental health care support, and primary palliative care support
- Enhances access to care • Collaborates and/or consults as appropriate, with members of an inter-professional team with in Sage and externally with the community of care
- Advocates, educates, leads, provides mentorship and consults as required
- Provides instruction to students within the undergraduate nursing programs/Graduate NP program, including clinical, lab and seminar/classroom teaching
- Evaluates student progress and provide appropriate feedback
- Participates in team meetings and team activities related to teaching assignment
- Promotes communication amongst the team including regular team meetings
- Fosters an atmosphere of professionalism, accountability, shared learning, celebration and positive outcomes
- Promotes Sage programs and resources in the community through presentations
- Provides information on Sage Health Services to other community resources as required
- Assists in the ongoing evaluation of the program and identify program improvement opportunities
- Implements policies, procedures and program development strategies
- Keeps up to date on resources and information pertaining to seniors
- Liaises with professionals and community agencies involved with seniors
- Masters degree in Nursing and Nurse Practitioner licensure in Alberta (Adult or Family All Ages)
- 5-7 years of applicable experience in a primary care setting
- Additional training or credentialing (e.g. Certified Diabetes Educator, Certified Geriatrics Provider, Palliative Care Certification, etc.) are considered assets
- Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidence-based methods and practices of primary care delivery, with an emphasis on health promotion and disease prevention with senior populations
- Experience in developing community linkages and stakeholder relationships
- Knowledge and understanding of Continuous Quality Improvement
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to be flexible, open and non-judgmental
- Ability to work evenings and/or weekends as required
- Demonstrated ability to welcome change and manage it innovatively
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Proficiency in the use of computers (word processing, Electronic Health Record (experience with Telus Med Access is considered an asset)
- Teaching experience, program design, delivery and evaluation are considered assets
Interested applicants should apply on-line with a covering letter, resume and a list of 3 professional references to:
Dr. Greta Cummings, Dean Faculty of Nursing
University of Alberta 3rd Floor
Edmonton Clinic Health Academy
11405 87 Avenue
Edmonton, AB T6G 1C9
In accordance with the Academic Teaching Staff Agreement (ATS), this position offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at http://www.hrs.ualberta.ca/MyEmployment/Agreements.aspx.
Salary for this position is based on the Academic Teaching Staff salary scale and will be commensurate with education and experience.
Interested applicants may apply to: https://www.careers.ualberta.ca/Competition/A102337304/
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.